2. Treatment for forehead lines - Horizontal lines on the forehead. (Please note this area can only be treated in conjunction with the frown area).
3. The lines on the outside of the eye (otherwise referred to as Crow’s Feet) .
Lines that are visible in the skin at rest will remain after treatment. Most patients will report a softening of the lines but this cannot be predicted.
Other Treatment areas
Many other areas of the face and neck can be treated including:
- Axillary Hyperhidrosis ( excess sweating under the arms)
- Reduction in smokers lines
- Bunny lines ( wrinkles on the nose when smiling
- Brow Lifts
- Increased definition of the jaw line.
- Puckered Chins
- Bruxism ( Grinding the teeth)
- Under eye wrinkles
- Neck lifts
Does it cause a ‘frozen face’ look?
Anti-wrinkle injections aim to affect only the tiny muscles being directly treated and not the surrounding muscles. This way, when you laugh or frown, the untreated muscles work normally so your expressions still look like you.
What are the potential complications and side effects?
Complications are rare. The most common side effects of injections include a short term headache, tenderness, swelling, redness, dry eyes, and mild bruising which are very short lasting.
In rare instances patients may experience a droopy eyebrow or eyelid: this side effect tends to be temporary and disappears when the effects of the injection wear off. Repeated injections do not cause any degenerative changes(muscle wasting), and muscle function after injection reverts to normal.
What happens during the treatment?`
First you will be given a medical history and consent form to sign. We will then look at what you hope to achieve and agree on a treatment plan. Photographs will be taken. The treatment itself is quite quick and in total the session will usually take only 30 minutes. The results are seen usually after three days, with maximum results achieved after fourteen days.
What happens after the treatment?
To increase the effectiveness of the treatment you should try to use the muscles that have been treated as much as possible for approximately 30 minutes after the injection. So lots of frowning, smiling and raising your eyebrows.
You will be advised to abstain from touching massaging the area for 48 hours. If the area is washed, pat dry very gently with a soft towel. You should not lie down or bend excessively for 4 hours. Avoid wearing make-up for 12 hours after treatment. For a further 2 weeks avoid facial treatments i.e. massage/ facials. You can return to work immediately.
For further details see the "After Treatment" section.
Is it a dangerous poison?
Tiny doses are used for cosmetic purposes, it has been clinically proven to be safe when properly administered. Botulinum toxin has been used safely in medicine for decades.
Are creams that contain Botulinum Toxin like substances as effective?
No. It is best delivered by injection which ensures that it reaches the target muscles.
How long will the results last?
Your results should last about three to six months, and the effects of subsequent injections could last longer.
You cannot be treated if;
· You are under 18.
· You are pregnant or planning to become pregnant soon
· You are breastfeeding.
· You have a known allergy to the constituents of Botulinum toxin
· Had any side effect from any Botulinum toxin product in the past
· If you have an infection at the intended site
· If you have a disease that affects your muscles and nerves (such as
amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease],
Myasthenia Gravis or Eaton-Lambert syndrome).
· If you have or have had swallowing problems
· If you have or have had bleeding problems or taking anti-coagulant
· If you have plans to have surgery
· If you had surgery on your face
· If you have weakness of your forehead muscles, such as trouble
raising your eyebrows
· If you have drooping eyelids
· If you have any other change in the way your face normally looks
· If you are taking certain types of antibiotics
Please note that Botulinum Toxin Type A injections are available only by prescription in Ireland and must only be administered by medically qualiﬁed clinicians such as Doctors and Dentists.Dr Gormley provides treatment for deep frown lines, treatment for forehead lines, wrinkles around eyes and treatment for crows feet and other anti wrinkle treatments.